Sorry folks for being so lazy to find time to update on mi vida loca! But, that is exactly what it has been - crazy!
When I got back from Houston, I discovered that Husband was back on the house-buying trail and so we began throwing ourselves into this chaos again. This 11th hour effort was our last push before signing another year lease and turning over mucho cash to the local landlord. We had all our money here ready for the downpayment, we just had to find the right house, for the right money.
Searching for a house is interesting work. And I think it's especially interesting in Dubai. We narrowed our search down to two different communities - Arabian Ranches (moon house city) or Jumeirah Islands (not moon houses and much better location, of course, potentially more money).
I don't know how many houses I looked at, how many hot afternoons I walked around that damned construction site, through the blistering sand... but I finally found the "perfect" one for us (ie, within our budget and not a POS).
Then came all the twists and turns of mortgaging a property in Dubai. Again, interesting and frustrating enough to sprout gray hairs from ones head.
Long story short, we closed on Villa No. 81, Cluster 10, Jumeirah Islands on Wednesday, November 9. I thought I would feel more excited... I just feel in debt!!
Now the bummer is that our landlord refused to extend our lease for a couple of months until the new villa was ready to move in, so...
We're living in what I affectionately call the "International Half-Way House." Jim's company has paid for a year lease on a big villa that they are using for trainees and visitors. So we're storing all our belongings and furniture in the garage and maid's room and shacking up in the master bedroom. The bonus is that there are other house mates amoung us:
- Hassan - the 'sensitive' Iraninan vegetarian;
- Henk - the 50'ish Dutch mechanic who cannot grasp the concept of closing food containers when he is finished with them;
- Amy - Henk's 19 year old Asian girlfriend, who does not appear to work and displays a teddybear on the headboard of their love pit; and
- Some strange guy that appeared yesterday - I think he's Dutch too.
So, this, in a nutshell, has been my life for the past 2-3 months. You can see why I haven't been blogging, huh?!
Here is some good news...
- I am working 4 days a week and now have Thur-Fri-Sat weekends!
- Thanksgiving and Christmas are around the corner;
- It rained this morning - hard!
I hope everyone is doing well and has a very Happy Thanksgiving!
posted by KKT at 9:35 AM